Sunday, September 28, 2008

How 'bout them apples?

That's one of my favorite movie lines -- from "Good Will Hunting," in case you didn't know.

I really do want to talk about apples, which I think are one of the treasures of Michigan. They certainly have been a highlight for us each fall, and we have learned quite a bit about the types of apples available.

There is a cider mill about 20 minutes from our house that is one of our favorite getaways. It is quaint, the cider is amazing, and they have picnic tables next to the tree-lined river that make for a lovely scene. I haven't mentioned the cider donuts, which are not to be missed, and the caramel apples that are incomparable. (Prior to having these, I didn't even LIKE caramel apples, so that says something!)

The girls also love going to the cider mill. (Above, they're very seriously eating and drinking by the river) If you ask Jellybean what happens in the fall, before even mentioning leaves or trees, she will tell you that in the fall you go to the cider mill. That's just what you do. Today, as we were getting in the car to go to the cider mill for the second time this fall, Peanut was repeating, "Excited! Cider mill!" (sounded like "sided" "sigh miw")

We eat apples year-round in our house, and they happen to be one of the girls' favorite snacks. Jellybean loves to know what type of apple she's eating -- more on that in a second -- and she has preferred to eat a whole apple at a time since she was about 1 1/2 and could say "whole apple." Peanut also inhales all the peeled apple slices we give her and now that she has teeth, they're much easier for her to eat. I couldn't live without my apple cutter!

L and I go to the cider mill for cider and donuts. The girls, for some bizarre reason, don't love cider donuts. I gave Jellybean a choice today: donut or apple? She chose apple. We tried again to give Peanut some donut today, and she eschewed it in favor of bites of Jellybean's apple. They are gaga over the cider, though, and would drink the whole gallon if we let them. (I read recently that unpasteurized cider has tons of antioxidants, so that wouldn't be so bad)

As for apples, I have become very opinionated about the types I like. I also have learned that all my favorites are later-season apples, so now is the time for them. Yea! I have always liked the tart little Jonathans, but more recently I have discovered Macintoshes, Pink Ladies, Honey Crisps, and last year I think L's and my overall favorite was the Jonagold. They are all on the tart side and offer varying degrees of firmness, which I much prefer over mushy Red (not very) Delicious. We'll keep trying them this year, and I'll let you know if our favorites change.

With the later-season apples comes the best cider as well. Our cider mill always posts which apple types are in the cider each week. I always prefer the cider when it's mostly Jonathan with a little Macintosh and Honey Crisp in there. How's that for specific?

So now, I have to ask you: How 'bout them apples?

1 comment:

Soggy Granola Mom said...

Red (not very) delicious...that's a good one! I've never liked them. For some reason those are the only kind my mom would buy when I was a kid. Why, why, why? When there are so many other (better) varieties out there!

Do you guys have Haralsons there? Those are great for baking (not so much for eating because they are very tart). We pick a lot of those and I freeze them so that I can make apple crisp all winter. YUM!

Honeycrisp and Pink Lady are both great for eating. In my opinion. :)