Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Switching seasons

Every weekend for the past three or four weeks, I've wondered if THAT week would be the week the climate forced us into the long-sleeved wardrobe. Both girls' fall clothes were biding their time in the basement until the weather changed.

Thankfully, this past weekend I stayed on top of the weather forecast for the week, and I retrieved those clothes on Sunday. We are officially in the throes of fall here.

In past years -- this stint of living here and the last time we lived here -- fall was merely the gateway to winter and all it has to offer (she says sarcastically). But this year, for some reason, I am embracing fall and appreciating it as its own unique season (duh, I know). I really am feeling this way, not forcing myself to do so. This feeling happened on its own; I assume it must be a rite of passage for all Michiganders at some point.

Jellybean keeps saying that she loves winter and winter is her favorite season. Part of me says to myself, "Ha! Wait until it's 30 degrees and cloudy in March." But another part of me realizes that winter can be fun, especially if I see it through a child's eyes: sledding, snowmen, hot chocolate. I felt that way about the beach this summer with the kids. I've been to beaches before and enjoyed myself, but you really LIVE the beach when you're there with a kid. I think playing outside in the winter can be that way too.

This winter will be Peanut's first real experience with winter (she dabbled last year, but it's hard when you can't walk), so that will help me to live it with a fresh perspective.

In the meantime, both girls love their "new" fall clothes.

1 comment:

Christy said...

Sounds like we are experiencing some of the same "Seasonal Symptoms".

I'm enjoying reading, by the way!