Monday, September 22, 2008

Deceiving Grandma

My mother-in-law left this morning after a five-day visit. The girls really enjoyed their time with her, and although she wore me out the first couple of days, it was fun to have her here.

Because of choosing my battles, I decided to cooperate with L and not inform his mom that all four of us were getting over a cold. She's a nurse (now teaches nursing), and she tends to overreact to even the slightest sign of illness in L and sometimes the girls. I was feeling a bit guilty and deceptive until L came home from work on Thursday and was a bit hoarse from talking all day. Immediately, his mom grilled him: "Are you feeling okay?" "Maybe you're getting sick." "If it's not better tomorrow, you'll have to go to urgent care." All because of a tired voice. Yeah, that's what I mean.

So I was done feeling guilty about hiding our illness. She kept going on about how Jellybean must have bad allergies and I had better get that checked out -- because her nose was still runny from her cold. I just blew it all off, doing my best imitation of my husband's ability to dismiss most of what she says.

Until. Until. Yesterday, Grandma was clearly not feeling well. She was sneezing all day and low energy and just generally yucky. She kept blaming it on her allergies, and I cringed inside as I bit my tongue. I'm sure she caught our cold, and I'm sure it will turn into a sinus infection for her (that's what always happens to her). And she'll continue thinking it's her allergies until she gets home and feels the same way inside her house.

I can't tell her now. The deception has gone on too long for that to help. Will she figure out the truth?

No comments: