Thursday, September 25, 2008

Trash day!

It's about time to recognize what has become a popular day at our house: trash day. I know, I know, but there's no more denying its appeal.

We have three different trash trucks that cruise our neighborhood every Thursday: landfill trash, recycling and yard waste. Both girls scramble for the nearest window at the faintest sound of the rumbling engine or the screeching brakes so that they can catch a glimpse of our faithful waste removers.

This morning, as I was approaching Peanut's door to get her out of her crib, I heard one such truck. I opened her door and as she heard the truck, she transformed from lounging toddler to a standing enthusiastic groupie, exclaiming, "Bash-uck! Bash-uck!" I snagged her out of the crib and whisked open the blinds so she could see the truck for herself.

Do other kids love trash trucks as much as mine do? The only part of the fascination that I can sort of relate to is that our landfill trash trucks are automated. When they pull up to the curb, a robotic arm lowers from the truck, grips the trash can and lifts it to tilt upside down and dump the trash into the truck (see pictures for my photojournalism at its finest). So, there's no need for the trash man (person?) to get out and lift it himself.

I guess if I work hard, I can start thinking it's neat and worth the excitement. I definitely encourage and participate in the trash day celebration regardless, because I love seeing them dash to the windows every Thursday.

No comments: