Friday, September 12, 2008

Late-night storm

I'm a bit slow and my mind is foggy today from being awake with Jellybean in the night. At a little before 4 a.m, I woke up to the distant rumbles of thunder. I thought that I may as well stay awake -- I knew the flashing and banging would rouse Jellybean into a fit of tears soon enough.

It was only about 10 minutes later that I heard the pitiful cry and "Mama!" I went to her room and found her sitting up in bed clinging to Berkeley, her little white bear. Her fear and vulnerability tug so strongly at my heart. I laid down in bed with her and we both dozed a bit. There were only two more audible claps of thunder, each of which made Jellybean flinch and whimper and reach for me.

After about 40 minutes, I got up and whispered that the storm was over. As I was walking back to my room, I saw another flash and thought, "Oops." I continued back to bed and laid there for another 30 minutes while there were more flashes and far-away rumbles. I anticipated hearing Jellybean again any second, but she must have been crashed out. I got back to sleep about 5:30, only to be awakened for good by Peanut at 6:45.

Finally, I can give at least one concession for winter: Thunderstorms are rare. One less thing to wake all of us for a few months!

No comments: