Saturday, September 6, 2008

Like a good neighbor

I must take some time to discuss our neighborhood, because it really is fantastic. My mother-in-law calls this the "Beaver Cleaver" neighborhood. And many people I know are in awe of the people who live around us. We really are lucky (and luck is what's involved with neighbors and neighborhoods, don't you think?). Of course, the porch light across the street is annoying, but SO minor compared to what could be happening.

When we bought our house here two years ago, it was about 50-50 older people (original owners, many of them, as the houses were built in the 60s) and young families. Now, with the recent sale of several homes, the tide is turning and it's probably about 70-30 younger people to older. There are tons of kids, many in elementary school and several around Jellybean's age.

We have really enjoyed getting to know everyone here. And we really do know them. I could walk you around the block and point to almost every house and tell you who lives there and at least something about them -- if not a whole lot more.

We can't take a walk without people stopping us to chat or coming out of their houses to say hello and see how we're doing (like really how we're doing, not just the vapid "how are you?" we all recite anymore). Part of that comes with having little kids, but most if it is just how it is here.

When we returned from one of our vacations this summer, within 45 minutes, three different neighbors stopped by to welcome us home and find out about our trip. Within 2 hours, we had talked to almost everyone on our street and been invited over for drinks to our next-door neighbors.

When Peanut was born, we received everything from cards to homemade dinners to toys for both girls and even two handmade pillows with photos of the girls on them. And we had lived here less than a year. It was unreal.

This summer, we had a gate installed at the back edge of our fence we share with the behind-us neighbors so we can easily go back and forth to their house to play. Their girls are 2 and newborn, so it will get even more use as time goes by. (Not to say it hasn't had A LOT this summer!)

The other night, we went out for a post-dinner walk, and Mr. and Mrs. H next door, parents of teenagers, came out to say hello. Both girls greeted them and proceeded to be very entertaining. Mr. and Mrs. H sat down in their driveway for half an hour to interact with the girls and chat with us. So cool. Peanut rewarded them by repeatedly lifting her shirt to reveal her navel and saying "din-don" as she pressed her chubby finger into her belly button.

Yesterday morning, I was walking over to another neighbor's house to consult with her about marketing her business (the second such neighborhood "client" I've had). I ran into my neighbor Mrs. S walking her dog, and she turned around her walking route just to accompany me to chat on my way. We had a lively political discussion, particularly about Sarah Palin, and it was lovely.

The reason I'm choosing to describe my neighborhood today is that, first of all, it's great, and second of all, we're having our annual Block Party this afternoon. It's a gorgeous day, people will bring potluck food, the kids will play with water balloons and bust a pinata, and it will be a nice time as always.

I can't remember the last time I lived in a neighborhood that had regular block parties. I do recall some from my childhood, so we're probably talking 1985 since I've experienced that. I'm so glad my kids get to, and I think more people should hold them. I know everybody around me, and I would jump at the chance to help anyone if they needed it, and I know they'd do the same for us. In this age of Blackberries, video games and webcams, it's a welcome relief.

No comments: