Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Kidless night

Before we came to visit my parents, L's mom, who lives in the same area, asked me if she could have the kids stay with her on their own one night. I thought that sounded like fun -- for them and her -- and they're old enough now that they can handle being with a grandparent without L and me.


Tonight was that such night. I had told Jellybean that we would be visiting Grandma and staying overnight, but I left out the part that I wouldn't be there with her. She gets anxious sometimes when we have babysitters, and since we weren't going to Grandma's until dinner time, I wanted her to be able to have an enjoyable day without stewing about her evening. I feel bad for having to fool her, but I truly believe it saved her some stress.


I took the girls over to Grandma's house with promises of a good time, which I know they'll have. When we got there, I saw a sign on the front door: "Welcome Jellybean and Peanut to Favorites Night!" Grandma has spent a week or more preparing this extravaganza to have all their favorite activities, foods, colors, etc. I can't believe all the thought she put into their visit -- when I left, she had covered the dining room table in big-roll paper, and the girls were coloring and painting all over it.


When I told Jellybean I was leaving, her bottom lip popped out and she whined, "No!" But by the time I was walking out the front door -- less than five minutes later -- she yelled dismissively, "Bye, Mama!" I called a while later, and Grandma said that Peanut hardly noticed that I left. This, from the child who spent entire evenings crying with babysitters when we went out for the evening.


As I got in the car to drive away, it hit me that I missed them already. I'm eager for a full night's sleep without waking up at 6 a.m. (must be the time change, ugh), but I've missed their little faces and voices this evening. I'll be glad to see them in the morning -- maybe even happier to see them than they will be to see me!

1 comment:

Christy said...

How fun! I'm impressed that Grandma went to such lengths to entertain the girls.