Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Boy plans

It is a fact that men make social plans differently than women. I'm not man-bashing; it's just true. My husband has told me, and he has proven it many times over.

Take last week, for instance. Our neighbor invited L to play guitar one night. So, that was the extent of my knowledge. "Fine, you're going to play guitar. That should be fun!"

Just making conversation, I asked, "Where are you going? Like a studio or someone's house?"

L: "Don't know. Boy plans."

Me: "Is it a big group or small group?"

L: "Don't know. Boy plans."

You get the idea. So the next day, L told me it was even bad by boy plan standards. They were going to a guy's house, and they didn't have directions or his phone number, and they only barely knew where he lived.

I bring up boy plans right now because I'm living in the midst of yet another set of boy plans tonight. L's buddy from law school, John, is in town for the night because he has some business here tomorrow. I didn't know for sure until this afternoon that he was coming (it had been a possibility for a couple weeks), and I (we) didn't know any details of his visit.

L and John are out on the town now after John had dinner with us. The only question remaining is whether John is staying the night here. L invited him to do so a couple weeks ago when we found out about the potential visit. L has not asked him since then if he is actually staying. That must violate some tenet of the boy planning.

So I guess I will find out in the morning if we have a houseguest or not. I'll make sure to wear my long pajamas tonight just in case.

1 comment:

Christy said...

You couldn't have summed it up any better! I will never understand how men can just "stand by" on vague promises.