Friday, October 10, 2008

Wine favorites

I've had a really big response to my entries about wine here and here, so I thought I'd post some of our old stand-bys that we have on hand most frequently. Most of these are $10-$12 per bottle and are easy to find.

Whites:
Bonny Doon Pacific Rim dry riesling -- don't be scared away by riesling. Just try this one.
Oregon pinot gris, specifically Willamette Valley Pinot Gris and King Estate Pinot Gris -- these may be a bit pricier, but they won't disappoint.

Reds:
Ravenswood Zinfandel -- a great restaurant wine, goes perfectly with any meal.
Guenoc Petite Syrah -- fruity and jammy and a good complement to a substantial meal.
Echelon Pinot Noir -- versatile as any pinot and fabulous texture.

One thing I should note for full disclosure: I am not a fan of chardonnay or merlot particularly. (In fact, the line in "Sideways" when Paul Giamatti says, "I am NOT drinking merlot," could have and should have been written by me. L jabbed me with his elbow in the movie theater.) You won't see me recommend those types of wines in general. If I do, we can all be surprised together.

No comments: