Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Visitors

My parents are here this week for a visit with the girls -- oh, and with us too (sometimes it's hard to tell that they might actually be here to see L and me too. I swear, he and I could run out the back door at 8 a.m. and they wouldn't notice until bedtime). They're from one of the square states in the middle, so they get up here a few times a year to visit, and we get back there a couple times a year as well.

The last time we saw them was May, so I had Peanut look at pictures and home movies from that last visit so she would be familiar with Grandma and Grandpa when they got here. She's in a separation anxiety phase right now, so she acts like any stranger in the house must be here to abscond with her mom and dad. She warmed up quickly, and now I love to hear her words for "meemaw" and "beepa."

Jellybean was counting the days until my parents arrived, so she is perpetually giddy the whole time they're here. It's a nice change for her, because she's been a bit more difficult the further into 3 she has gotten, with a bit more grumpiness mixed in to each day. I hope the happy, sweet girl will be back some day, but at least she's here temporarily while my parents are here.

The main thing that has struck me this week was how much I was looking forward to my parents' visit. It's not that I, as their only daughter, miss them terribly when I'm not with them (I miss them, but come on, does anyone look forward to spending a week 24/7 with their parents?!). I realized that I was anticipating their arrival because of the reciprocal joy that exists between the girls and them.

There is nothing I love more than seeing loving grandparents with their grandchildren and vice versa. Few things can match that love and happiness that grandparents and grandchildren have for one another, and I think it's one of the main rewards of being a parent. The only thing I can think of that comes close to that is seeing my husband and the girls together when they're really enjoying one another's company.

So, this week is full of going to parks and doing all the silly kid things so Grandma and Grandpa can be involved. (It's also full of my parents' quirks, but they're way secondary to the fun we're having!) It's L's first full week of teaching too, but we're too busy to notice.

No comments: