Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Early-morning zzzzz wake-ups

Ugh, I think I dozed off while typing my heading. I am so tired lately, even with my parents here, which should energize me. Seasonal allergies aren't helping, but neither are my early wake-up calls lately. No, not from Peanut, who would seem the logical one. They're from Jellybean. Aren't you supposed to be over this when you're 3?

Every morning, I wake up to Jellybean standing next to my head. Sometimes, she's just staring at me and I get that freaky sense that someone's watching me, and I jolt awake. Sometimes I hear the pitter-patter of little feet approaching my bed. And yesterday morning, I awoke to someone grabbing my toe. Yeah, at 5:30 a.m. Try not peeing your pants from fear when someone does that to you.

At any rate, I have no idea what is prompting these wake-ups. Many of them have correlated with her having overfilled her Pull-Up and her bed is soaking wet. (Stripping pee-soaked sheets in my shell-shocked fatigued state is just a little more fun than eating rocks) But that hasn't consistently been the case, so I'm puzzled.

I refuse to allow her in our bed or to lie with her in hers, because that's exactly what she wants, and we have chosen not to co-sleep, so that's not what I want! I snuggle her back into her (dry) bed and tell her not to come back to our room until it's light outside. She follows that well, but of course I can't even begin to calm back down to go back to sleep after my rude awakening.

I went out today and got a bigger size and more absorbent package of Pull-Ups, so we'll see if that helps. I referred to The Sleep Lady, and although her advice is logical as always, none of her scenarios seem to directly apply here. I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Oh, one more thing I need to vent here. Why Jellybean feels the need to come to MY side of the bed and not L's is so aggravating. He sleeps right through it, sometimes even snoring the whole time as if to rub my nose in the fact that I'm not asleep anymore! It makes me want to sneak over and grab HIS toe to see what HE would do.

2 comments:

Mom2Miles said...

Oh, man, the 5:30 a.m. wake-up call is the WORST. My only consolation is that my tyke is still in a crib so he can't escape. But he hollers till we go get him and has no concept of "too early" or "still dark," so it's not like the crib leads to more sleep for us...

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

Found your blog through "Diary of a New Mom"...and just wanted to tell ya that I feel your pain! We are going through the exact same thing over here with my kiddos.

If only my son hadn't learned how to climb out of the crib. :)