Monday, February 16, 2009

Especially heart-y

For the first time since I was a kid, I allowed myself to get completely swept up in the Valentine's spirit this year. In fact, a midday visit to the grocery store on the 14th gave me a new perspective that will officially convert me from a V-Day cynic for years to come.

I had more advance preparation than ever for Valentine's Day this year because of Jellybean and her preschool activities. I had her write her own name on her Valentines for her classmates, so we started with that project early in the week to get them completed by Thursday. Her enthusiasm about giving a cheap little piece of cardboard to each of her classmates made it hard for me to grumble internally about the commercial concoction that is February 14.

She did all kinds of Valentine art projects at preschool in the preceding days -- all with lots of pink and lots of hearts. My favorite, though, was a card that she decorated with her photo and stickers. She instructed the teachers to write on it, "I love you Mommy and Daddy." It was the simplest yet sweetest thing. How can I be cynical about THAT?

Peanut was very into Valentine's Day too; as long as the celebrating included eating occasional candy treats and coloring with markers on a regular basis, she was in. She called it "Valen-times," which I thought appropriate seeing as how all our prep and build-up were taking almost a week! Good times, Valentimes.

So, even before the 14th, I was sort of in the Valentine mode and not fighting it as I have in the past. But once I got to the grocery store that afternoon (to buy a cake mix and pink frosting and cake decorations -- what is going on with me?!), I became a huge fan of Valentine's Day. The parking lot was so full that I had to wait my turn for a spot. As I was waiting, I watched people pouring into the store. I saw college girls with bouquets of flowers, -- I thought college boys preferred DE-flowering, myself -- anxious men bolting for the florist line (which was about 20 people deep inside the store) and parents holding their children's hands as the latter bounded into the store. And it hit me: Look at all these people going out of their way to show friends and loved ones that they care.

There are wars, both literal and figurative, transpiring all over the world. Financial markets are in shambles. Politics in our country have been bitterly divided. Conflicts going on and on. But on February 14, a whole lot of people in the U.S. felt a whole lot of love. Hallmark should be so proud.

No comments: