Sunday, November 22, 2009

Thanksgiving and wine

In case you've been under a rock, it's that time of year where we all get to heap our plates full of food and glug down a couple glasses of wine. For some people, I guess that could be every day, but for me, it's Thanksgiving!

I have many, many things to be thankful for every day of the year. Maybe some day I'll make a list worthy of sharing. But in the meantime, we're doing our usual hosting duties for Thanksgiving, so I have some cooking to do.

I will be doing my "no-fail" turkey again this year, as well as baking a couple of pies with my vodka crust recipe. I will also be wine shopping. Although I couldn't drink for many of the previous Thanksgivings we hosted (I was pregnant or nursing for 4 years straight), I was still the unofficial sommelier. I have a few favorites that pair well with turkey and the flavors of the season.

Whites:
Chateau Grand Traverse Riesling -- I try to drink Michigan wines but don't always love them. This one, on the other hand, is one of the best pairings with turkey I have ever had. Slightly sweet contrasted with the sage and herbiness, mmmm.

Covey Run Riesling -- If you can't get the Michigan riesling, this is the next best. Again, the slight sweetness greets the Thanksgiving table flavors wonderfully.

Big House White -- I didn't feel like I could have an all-riesling list because it might turn some people off. This wine, Thanksgiving or not, is my favorite white wine I've had in a long time. Beware, it's dangerous. The first time L and I tried it, we drank the whole bottle in a sitting! That never happens, so that's saying something. A steal with mass appeal.

Reds:

Echelon Pinot Noir -- Appeals to all wine drinkers, from serious sommelier wannabes to occasional wine drinkers. Smooth with nice flavor, accommodates Thanksgiving flavors perfectly.

Beaujolais Nouveau -- Not always a great pairing with Thanksgiving (the earthy French flavors tend to be subtle), even though the timing of the varietal's release coincides. I haven't tried this year's yet, but I have read that the French are particularly pleased with this year's harvest. Might be worth uncorking.

Really, you won't go wrong with any pinot noir at the Thanksgiving table. Many people espouse the rule of white wine with poultry, but the strong flavors of Thanksgiving lend themselves to pinot noir so well. Make sure you at least try it. Or do like we do, give lots of choices at the table, and let everyone share tastes!

What are you serving at Thanksgiving? I'd love new suggestions to share at our tasting table.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Christy said...

I'm pretty sure that we will be having some sort of Arkansas-grown red table wine. Not sure of the vineyard yet, but who knows. I may get adventurous and head to the liquor store!