Sunday, November 8, 2009

What's on your playlist?

Just recently, I got inspired to create a new music mix for the kids and I to listen to. I hadn't made a new one for a while, so I had fun brainstorming different songs that L and I already had in iTunes.

Don't get me wrong -- I love some of the kids' music that's out there right now. Dan Zanes and Barenaked Ladies are probably the ones I can listen to the most without having annoying earworms at all hours of the day. As I've talked about before, some is better than others, but sometimes I just want to hear something a bit more mature.

I made a couple CDs two years ago or so that included Jimmy Buffett, the Beatles and Bob Marley, plus a selection of showtunes. Those are fun, and they're still in regular rotation. (Side note: If we're out somewhere and hear any of the aforementioned playing, one of the kids will invariably say quite loudly, "This is MY music!" Always garners an amusing response from surrounding adults.) With this CD, I was striving for musical variety -- styles, decades, etc.

So here's the latest playlist. You would probably be surprised to know which songs are their favorites.

Dancing Queen, ABBA
Walk Like an Egyptian, The Bangles
If I Had $1,000,000, Barenaked Ladies
Stand by Me, Ben E. King
Let's Go Crazy, Prince
The Tide Is High, Blondie
Take the Money and Run, Steve Miller Band
Wide Open Spaces, Dixie Chicks
La Bamba, Los Lobos
Iko Iko, The Dixie Cups
Grease, Frankie Valli
Great Balls of Fire, Jerry Lee Lewis
I'm Yours, Jason Mraz
Mother Nature's Son, Sheryl Crow (from "I Am Sam")
Livin' la Vida Loca, Ricky Martin
Hey There Delilah, Plain White T's
Blackbird, Sarah McLachlan (from "I Am Sam")
Supersition, Stevie Wonder
Soak Up the Sun, Sheryl Crow
But Anyway, Blues Traveler
Everyday Is a Winding, Road Sheryl Crow

Help me start my next playlist: What songs do your kids like?

2 comments:

McMommy said...

My son Matthew LOVESSSSSS Pink's "Funhouse". Like knows all the words loves it. But I'm not sure what his Christian school is going to think when he goes around singing "This used to be a funhouse. Now it' full of evil clowns. It's time to start the countdown...I'm gonna burn it down, down, down..."

Christy said...

Holy Cow....McMommy reads your blog!!!!!! ;)


Emily, you have been witness to some of Ali's eclectic musical taste. Heck, we were playing Michael Jackson at her B-day party last week!

She also loves Simon and Garfunkel (Cecelia is her favorite), Ralph Covert and pretty much anything with a good beat. Recently, we have been introducing her to Metallica's S&M Album (Symphony & Metallica). It's the one where they played a huge concert with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra.... phenomenal from a music-geek's standpoint. Of course we do the obligatory kids music and classical fare, but I'm having a great time with other kinds of music. Bluegrass? She LOVES it.

Funny note, when she was a baby, she LOVED Gwen Stefani's "hollaback girl". Perhaps that's why she loves B-A-N-A-N-A-S!