Monday, November 2, 2009

Coming down off the sugar high


We had so many Halloween activities this year, it seemed more like Halloween week than Halloween day. Was it because the actual day was a Saturday, or was it because the kids are at the age that we have more things we can do?

Although it was a bit hectic and tiring (the girls were visibly fatigued by the time we actually went out trick-or-treating), we really did have fun. I overcame my costume cynicism with Jellybean when I saw how much she was enjoying being a princess. And Peanut just loved telling everyone that she was Dorothy and her dog was Toto.

I put the candy onus on the girls so that I didn't have to decide if I should buy candy I liked or didn't like -- that really is the true Halloween conundrum, in my opinion. You're darned if you do and darned if you don't. So the girls picked the bags of candy at the store, which they thought was an important responsibility.

We had a pumpkin-carving and pizza party at preschool a couple days before Halloween. Then we had a costume party at preschool with lots of fun activities the day before. On Halloween night, we trick-or-treated early on so that we could get back home to greet most of the neighbors at our house. The girls loved opening the door to see what costumes would meet them on the other side.

It was a happy Halloween, but we were all equally happy to head to bed that night and be done with the festivities.

No comments: