Saturday, May 23, 2009

Personal Jesus

Who is pretend? Who is not pretend? Jellybean asks this about almost every singer, character in a book and person on TV lately. Her definition of pretend in these instances has just one criterion: Can we visit him/her in the flesh?

It started with "Annie," which is her favorite music. She asked one day if we could go visit Annie at her house. I explained that Annie is just pretend -- there is a girl singing the songs who is pretending to be Annie. Simple enough.

Then, "Can we go to Sesame Street sometime? I want to visit Bert and Ernie." Again, pretend characters in a pretend neighborhood. Comprehension.

L and I read her chapters of The World of Pooh, and she asked, "Can we go to the woods where Pooh lives?" We have woods by our house, so she just assumed he lived there, until I explained that the whole concept is pretend. I cushioned the blow by reminding her that we can "visit" by reading the book.

As I've mentioned before, her preschool is at a local church. The other day, after preschool, I was getting her ready for naptime. We settle into her bed and she asks, "Is Jesus pretend?"

1 comment:

Christy said...

And what did you say? I'm really curious now!