Thursday, May 21, 2009

Quilt problem all stitched up?

Our quilt crisis may be solved. We didn't plan it, it just happened, and it was way simpler than I imagined.

Previously, I had thought we might be able to have Jellybean's heirloom quilt/security blanket repaired by a seamstress or quilter. My quilting neighbor graciously invited me to bring the quilt to a quilting circle. All of the ladies there examined the quilt closely, and the consensus was that it could be repaired, restored and redone, but it wouldn't be the same. For one, it would lose its softness from being hand-sewn and "loved" by so many children (it was L's and his brother's before it was Jellybean's). That would be significant, given that she sleeps with it every minute.

So I was pondering elaborate scenarios like leaving it for the "quilt fairy" to take and having the quilt fairy replace it with a new quilt -- similar to what some people do with their pacifiers. I hadn't come to a decision about the whole thing.

Then, a couple days ago Jellybean woke up in the morning and told me her quilt was wet. Her Pull-Up had leaked (yes, we're having this problem again) onto the quilt a bit. So, I took it away to hand wash it, and of course it wasn't dry by naptime. So I grabbed an organic cotton blanket we have that I LOVE, and had it on Jellybean's bed for naptime. I was ready for a mini-crisis about the blanket and prepared to explain that she'd have it back tomorrow, etc.

Instead, she saw the blanket and exclaimed, "Ooh, look at the new blanket! Ohh, it's so soft..." So, thinking quickly on my feet (for once), I went with it, and told her she used that blanket when she was a baby, just like the quilt, and that it was very nice to sleep with, etc. My sales pitch held her for naptime.

After her nap, I told her that the quilt was getting too worn out and it was time to put it away... I was flinching for her meltdown. Nope. No problems.

So, now I feel like a crazy woman for having worried about what to do this whole time. Then I remind myself that it has only been three days. The other shoe could drop at any minute. However, I never thought she could be in bed without her quilt for three minutes, let alone three whole days!

The quilting ladies will be so happy I've preserved that quilt. And I'm happy to have rescued an heirloom from its steady decline.

1 comment:

Antoinette said...

Funny how they can surprise us by not freaking out about some stuff but totally lose it on other, surprising things! On the overnight Pull-Ups, if you're having trouble with leaks, try my favorites, Underjams (by Pampers--soooo soft), or Goodnites (by Huggies). They're a LOT more absorbent but are made for bigger kids (starting at like 35 lbs.). Some store brands are OK too but feel much cheaper (Kroger's are very elasticky--not good if you have lean children, which I do NOT, so they worked fine for Theo). Theo still needs them (go figure--Max, 7 months potty-trained, is dry at night and Theo, over 2 years potty-trained, still isn't; eventually he'll outgrow it, I hope!).