Friday, June 5, 2009

Say you, say me

Do you ever overhear a parent say something completely inane? And you wonder what exactly they're trying to accomplish? I said one of those very things in the grocery store today to Peanut: "If you take off your shoes one more time, I'm going to take them away."

Think about that for a second. Wouldn't you think that was exactly what Peanut wanted? To not have her shoes, because she was taking them off? Even as I said it, I thought, "That sounds really stupid." Believe it or not, it was exactly the threat she needed.

We were finishing up a longer-than-usual grocery trip. I knew I had a lot to buy, but this particular store always has lots of samples to get her (well, me) through all the aisles. So I thought it wouldn't be a problem. But I was mistaken. Peanut has become very crafty with her rebellions lately, and today was no exception.

The entire time we were in line at the checkout, placing item after item on the conveyor, watching the cashier zap each one, paying and signing the credit slip, Peanut was getting increasingly antsy. So, each time I turned my back to do something like get out my credit card, she took off her Crocs and threw them on the floor.

She accomplished the Croc removal twice before I was done paying for the groceries. The third time was just as I was getting ready to wheel the overburdened cart out to the parking lot. I picked up the Crocs from the floor and then uttered my seemingly nonsensical threat: "If you take off your shoes one more time, I'm going to take them away."

Her response? "Noooooo, I want my shoes!" And they stayed on all the way to the parking lot, the whole time I was unloading the cart, even for the car ride home. Take that, eavesdroppers.

No comments: