Sunday, December 28, 2008

Holiday bubbly

Thought I'd pass along a few comments about champagne (technically, sparkling wine) for this time of year.

The ultimate bubbly to me is not a cheap one. Oh, but it's so worth it: Veuve Clicquot. If you shop around, you may be able to find it on sale for $35/bottle (if your state allows discounts on alcohol, that is).

Otherwise, if you don't want to spring for the VERY good stuff, here are some decently good ones that are also economical:
Freixenet ($11/bottle) -- dry, basic flavor and of course good bubbles
Segura Viudas ($13/bottle) -- semi-dry and a good mouth feel. May be a stronger flavor than you're accustomed to, which can be a plus or minus.
Korbel Brut Rose red sparkling wine ($ ) -- for something really different. This would be lovely served with food at dinner or with appetizers.

If you have a favorite or discover a new one, let me know. Cheers!

2 comments:

Christy said...

I'm an Asti Spumante girl. It's light and bubbly, with a sweetness that I don't find in most other sparkling wines.

Plus, it's cheap. I'm a cheap drinker...my husband loves that about me! ;)

khuck said...

This was, I believe, the saddest (and most-missed) part of my holidays. I had to make due with sparkling pear juice. Todd did let me smell his, however. :)

Enjoying your blog (ours khuckfinn.blogspot.com). Happy New Year to you and yours!

Kate