Saturday, November 20, 2010

Mondays are my new favorite day

I knew I would enjoy volunteering in Jellybean's kindergarten class. A room full of 5-year-olds, with a savvy teacher in charge of them -- what's not to like?

I did not know, however, how much I would LOVE it: so much so that my favorite weekday has shifted from Friday to Monday (the day I volunteer). And Jellybean loves having me there.

My "shift" is officially about 20 minutes (although I've been there up to an hour, depending on the happenings of the day). I am there to help with literacy centers, which divide the children into small groups to accomplish a task about words: phonics, writing, spelling or reading. I serve as back-up question-answerer to the teacher, about the centers.

Now that I've been there several times, the kids are more and more comfortable to seek me out with their questions. I love being able to help them and seeing the "lightbulbs" go on when they figure out a word or make a connection.

When I arrive each week now, many of them will run up to me just to say "hello." Or they'll shout my name from their seat and wave. So cute. They all love the extra attention, and, sadly, some of them crave it more than others.

The best part, paradoxically, is when I leave. The class tells me "thank you" in unison, at the behest of the teacher. I help them get their jackets and hats on, because they're headed out to recess. Then, many of them on their own accord -- so many of them! -- come up to me to give me a HUG goodbye! Sometimes, there is even a LINE to give me a hug. It is the best!

They are the sweetest group of kids. I hope they all can keep at least some of the innocence for as long as possible. And if I can make their day brighter by giving them a big hug, then you bet I will. Sign me up! See why I love Mondays now?

No comments: