Thursday, September 24, 2009

Strange bedfellows



Jellybean loves books -- like, so much that she sleeps with them. Literally. Books in her bed. Every night.

I also love books, but the thought of large hunks of hardcover storybooks poking me from every angle while I attempt to slumber is not the least bit appealing. I'll stick to reading them and placing them on my nightstand. Jellybean will not; in the bed they go.

Books in her bed have been a nightly request for, oh, almost three years. I thought it was a phase that would last a couple weeks at most. Shows what I know.

It all started 3+ years ago when I was out of town, and L came in to get 1-year-old Jellybean out of her crib in the morning. Her crib was strewn with books, nearly covering the entire surface. She had maneuvered them through the slats, presumably one by one, the previous night while L thought she was asleep. (Her nightstand was in close proximity)

Pretty much ever since then, at every naptime and bedtime she has asked for books in her bed -- and we have complied. She likes to look through them and "read" them (i.e., recite them from memory) to herself before drifting off to sleep. But that's only a small part of them. I think she actually draws comfort from the books' mere presence. Often she's too tired to even touch them, but there they remain, carefully tucked under her pillow all night long. They're there if she needs them.

Other times, she dives in and reads each one, then arranges them to suit her sleeping comfort. I have performed many a delicate nighttime book extrication in the dark to prevent her from rolling onto them or knocking them onto the floor (which has happened more times than I can count -- THUD, in the middle of the night).

She has her lovey Berkeley Bear, her quilt and her books. What more does a girl need for her beauty rest?

Side note: The books make for great leverage if she's misbehaving at bedtime. "If you keep acting like this, there will be no books in your bed tonight." Problem solved.

2 comments:

Christy said...

That is not an uncommon sight in our house either! I simply refuse to believe that is comfortable!

khuck said...

i just flat out love it! my kinda girl....