Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A few new (to me) wines

I haven't written about wine for a while, but that's not to say I haven't been enjoying some. I've discovered a few that aren't quite on my favorites list yet, but they definitely have the potential to be. Thought you might like to know about them in case you come across them.

Colombelle, a French white blend of colombard (70%) and ugni blanc (30%). Funky grape vintages aside, just trust me, it's a crisp very light white wine. I don't usually find French wines that have remarkable enough flavor to recommend, but this is very nice with appetizers and other light foods. About $8.

Ferrari-Carano fume blanc/sauvignon blanc. Some of the best exotic-fruit flavor I've had from a white wine in a while. It's not Italian (nor is it from the car people), rather it's a Sonoma white. It will impress you, and it will impress guests. Yum! About $11.

Hob Nob pinot noir. Smooth with good fruit. Easy to drink and goes with everything from salad to barbecued meats. Side note: One of the coolest websites and bottle designs -- wine or otherwise -- I've seen in a while. About $10.

Shenandoah Valley Amador County zinfandel. A flavorful, drinkable zinfandel for a little price. Not quite my favorite Ravenswood, but quite good. About $10.

No comments: