Thursday, March 26, 2009

Photo finish

Until a couple of weeks ago, I had never taken either girl to have their picture taken. I take snapshots all the time, but for assorted reasons, we had never done the Photo. Shoot.
So now I've done it. Jellybean's preschool had a photographer come and do pictures on-site. They also allowed that siblings could come and participate. So I got both girls in their nice duds and managed to avoid trashing the outfits and hair long enough for them to get pictures taken.
We got the proofs yesterday. The good news is that most of them are pretty decent all the way to really cute. The bad news is that most of them are pretty decent all the way to really cute. As in, I can't buy 95 photos, even though a part of me wants to. I'm having a really hard time deciding which ones to get and how many. I want to have enough for gifts (Mother's Day and Father's Day for the grandparents, here we come!), but I don't want to still be holding on to 50 outdated photos a year from now.
I went through the proofs last night and pulled out the ones I definitely DON'T want. A couple of Jellybean by herself have funky smiles, and so does one of Peanut by herself. So that helped with a few. But I still have lots of good ones in lots of sizes. L made it clear he doesn't want to do the picking and planning (grrr, a bit, because most of them will be for his family in the end). So I'm on my own.
I'm thinking we'll get the ones of the girls by themselves just for us. Most relatives will probably want just one picture of both girls together. The picture of them together has a crayon background. The only good one of Jellybean has a plain background. I like the plain one of Peanut too, but there's one of her solo with the crayon background that I really love because you can see her little teeth and little feet. And, is it unfair to buy two of one kid and only one of the other kid (based on photographic quality, not favoritism)?

I'm hoping the photo fairy will appear and magically make my decision for me in the next few days. I had no idea how hard this would be!

(I know, there are wars and an economic crisis and those worry me too, but there are also tough choices closer to home. Like this!)

4 comments:

Antoinette said...

I know what you mean! I'm a sucker for photos since my parents obviously didn't have many photos of me (I now have a grand total of 3 photos of me as a baby). For each boy we got them done at 3, 6, 9, and 12 mos., and I'm glad we did. Theo has had professional photos taken at school this year and last, and Max was included in the group shot both times, but Theo is still waaay ahead with photos (and when we FINALLY got around to framing and displaying them, Max noticed that they almost all were Theo--oops!), so I want to get some done with just Max. Anyway, we bought several poses of this year's photos with just Theo since they turned out so well (last year's didn't turn out as well because he was less cooperative).

jennymarcy said...

I have dozens of extra pictures of my kids. School, sports, yearly birthday photos...I figure they are only this little once. Maybe they'll pull them out in a couple years and draw mustaches on each other or decoupage the dresser in my room! I would rather have extras then feel I missed out on a picture I really like.

khuck said...

don't take advice from me because I am a sucker for photo packages (Lauren had her pics taken every month except for 2 months old-- no clue why I skipped) until she was one, and every six months since. I think my rationalization is that my entire family lives far away. I am w/ Jen though...I love going back through my old photos!

Spin Mama said...

Thanks for all the advice. You guys are right -- extras will be good. L put a constraint of $100 on me, and I somehow managed to whittle it down to $98.