Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Budding novelist

Jellybean has been "writing" books at preschool lately. She's done one at each of her last three preschool days. I put writing in quotes because she is actually dictating the books, but because she's responsible for the content, I think it can be considered a form of writing.

The books are small, about 3 x 3, made out of construction paper and drawing paper. She has created illustrations for them, almost entirely in purple marker, so that each page looks like it's almost straight out of Harold and the Purple Crayon. The pictures are so small, they didn't come through well on the scanner. You'll just have to use your imagination.

I couldn't resist sharing, so I am reprinting them below, with Jellybean's permission and I promise no copyright infringements here. As you will note, they are not particularly plot-driven, but they do carry some themes. Twilight series, look out!

Book #1:

Mama is taking me for a walk. A thunderstorm! I hug my daddy. That's Mama taking Peanut to the doctor. That's Daddy going to work. Daddy's fixing dinner -- noodles!

Book #2:

That's Peanut going to music class. That's me eating breakfast with Mama and Peanut. That's me, sleeping. I hear a thunderstorm and I'm with my grandma. That's Mama taking me to preschool.

Book #3:

That is Mama. She is sleeping. Mama is going for a walk with me. I am sleeping. Mama is with me and my sister. Mama is coloring.

1 comment:

Christy said...

Aw! Ladybug is all about authoring content. While we have not done books yet, she always dictates to me for letter and emails. Isn't it exciting to see what is going on in their minds sometimes?