Wednesday, January 21, 2009

One for the ages


Plenty has been said about the significance of yesterday's presidential inauguration. It was one for the ages. But was it one for the ages of... 3 1/2 and 1 1/2? In our house, the answer was "yes."

I broke my cardinal rule of no TV during the day, and during lunch the girls sat front and center of the TV to watch the oaths and speeches. They know who the president and the first family are by name and sight, and they seemed to glean at least a little comprehension of what was happening.

I love that when they witnessed those events, they saw a president and his family, not a black president and his black family. Obama stands for hope and change, and if yesterday was any indication, those things are coming.

I knew the inauguration made an impression when I was getting Peanut ready for her nap shortly afterward. She said, "Barack O-mama goin' night-night." She went to sleep with the president on her mind.

No comments: