Friday, January 30, 2009

Cutting the cord

I'm talking about phones, not babies. It's been about a month since L and I decided to drop our landline in favor of cell only. I always said I would never do it, but never say never.

Our cordless phone was dying a slow death, so we knew we'd need to replace it. At the same time, I needed a new cell phone because I hated my other one. It pained me to spend extra money just to have more phones that ring in the house, so we decided to go for it on the exclusive cell thing.

I thought it would be a big transition. Turns out, not at all. It's actually nice to have my "main" phone with me wherever I go. Then I don't have to worry that preschool might be trying to track me down or that I could be missing some other such hypothetical emergency.

The best result out of the switch is that L and I have discovered texting (I know, welcome to freakin' 2009). It was awesome during the holidays at family gatherings, L and I and L's brother doing running commentary under the radar amidst everyone. But it has been convenient in many other situations when talking out loud wasn't an option yet we needed to communicate.

I have had a couple etiquette struggles, though, so I need to make some rules for myself. I was at the library one day chatting with a woman I think is so cool, and my best friend was calling on my cell. That was a toughie -- I don't get to talk to either of them as much as I'd like, and there I was caught. I was able to find a way to transition each conversation and talk to both of them, and last I checked, they're both still speaking with me, so I guess it was all right.

The reason I thought I'd never drop the landline was safety. I wanted to have a phone available at all times to grab and dial 911 -- also that my kids could do the same. We do have phones, they're just not connected to the wall. We have set locations for the phones, and I'm teaching my kids our address since 911 doesn't auto-locate on cell phones (can you tell I used to work at the phone company?).

So now we're free of all phone constraints! And we pay less every month. Text me, and I'll tell you all about it!

1 comment:

Antoinette said...

We're thinking of doing that too. I fax a few signed freelance contracts a month but I can scan them in and e-mail them. Just FYI, you might check with your phone company, because in many areas 911 still works even if there's no phone service to a house, as long as the phone is actually plugged in. I still can't get on the texting bandwagon, though. I can't. I won't!