Monday, January 19, 2009

Analyze this

My kids definitely have brought out the best in me most of the time. But over the years, I have discovered I had been harboring some pet peeves that I had no idea I possessed -- until I had kids.

I have overcome some of these pet peeves in just a short time. It didn't take me long to get over my aversion to clutter, for example, when our tiny house (at the time) was packed to the gills with a baby play gym, swing, bouncy seat, and on and on. And that was just in the living room. Now that there are two kids flinging their toys about the (albeit bigger) house, it's a darn good thing clutter doesn't get to me anymore.

I also have grown to enjoy naked babies running around the house instead of wincing in anticipation of any leaks they may spring without a diaper on. We've had leaks of all varieties, believe me, and it turns out that although a bit gross, they're pretty easy to clean up. Having hardwood floors doesn't hurt in that regard, either.

So, which pet peeves have I clung to? Two of them come to mind.

1. Damage to books. Tearing pages, bending covers, dog-earing, all make me crazy. If I even have an inkling that a book is about to suffer, I swoop in immediately and take it away. The only way I can explain this is that my grade school librarian must have scared the bejesus out of us for doing anything to the school library books. Board books have saved me many a time.

2. Toys missing pieces. I was an only child and fairly orderly. I always knew where all parts to all of my toys were. I would be appalled at other kids' houses when their puzzles were missing pieces or toy sets were lacking a vital component. How could they let that happen? Well, now as a mother of two, I know that it can (and does) happen all the time, even when we're being careful. However, I just can't seem to get over hating it. I'm hoping time and desensitization will foster a cure.

1 comment:

Christy said...

That's too funny. I too hate missing pieces! We got CandyLand for Ali's Birthday, and we are already missing cards. And some of them are crumpled, which I can't stand either.

There is nothing better than a fresh, un-wrinkled book. Little hands must be taught respect for books...I don't think it comes naturally. I feel compelled to repair pages (to the best of my ability) whenever I find an injury!