Friday, August 27, 2010

The many benefits of having a kid in school


Jellybean loves school. Even on the mornings after she went to bed kinda late (oops, L and I need to get better at this new routine), she pops out of bed and gets dressed, talking about how excited she is to go to kindergarten.

I knew that once I got over my emotions -- can I mention that any more?! -- I'd enjoy seeing her transform into a school kid and all the changes that come with that. New friends, newfound abilities, more independence -- all of those are already evident.

We live pretty close to her school, so we walk there and back every day, about 10-15 minutes each way. Those walks have been a great time to talk about all her new experiences. And, because I walk both ways of those walks twice a day those walks hold something else for me: more exercise!

I didn't even realize it until after the first couple days, how much activity those walks are adding to MY day. Now, no matter how much working out I do, in the name of school transportation, I will be adding a minimum of 40 minutes of walking to my daily routine. And, because at 3 she is too little for fitness walks, I am also pushing Peanut in the Burley stroller the whole time (and Jellybean when she wants in). Have I mentioned we also live up a steep hill?

So, let's do the math. 40 minutes of brisk walking x pushing 35-85 lbs. + 2 steep hill climbs =
1 Mama who likes how this school year is shaping up!

P.S. Yes, I realize that's L in the picture. I'm always behind the camera. And, do you like our retro Burley?

No comments: