Friday, August 13, 2010

I am now the parent of a school-age child

Kindergarten has started for Jellybean (I know, already -- doesn't it seem way early?)! And so far, we all have survived.

Some of my anxiety subsided before the first day, mostly because of visiting her classroom and meeting her teacher, and knowing how that helped make her more comfortable. But the mom hormones must have been gushing through my veins, because I was weepy and emotional for like 3 days before (not in front of her, thankfully). I wasn't quite prepared for that part of it.

I don't think her first day of school could have gone any better. She strode into her classroom confident and excited, and she was glad to be there. When I picked her up at the end of the day, she came running toward us, arms open wide to give a hug...to Peanut. It really was sweet -- and sad -- how much they had missed each other all day.

We walked back home, and when we got into the driveway, Jellybean said, unsolicited, "Well, that was a lot of fun, guys. Thank you for picking me up. I had the perfect day at kindergarten!" My just-turned-5-year-old got replaced by a 10-year-old in one day!

I opened her lunchbox when we got inside, and she still had about half her lunch -- half a sandwich, half her apple, half her vegetables. Apparently they only have 20 minutes (!) for lunch. So, she sat down at the table and polished off the entire remains of her lunch right then and there, in addition to the snack we'd had on the way home.

Onward and upward, to the second day of school and beyond. And to think, I thought the baby phase was going to last forever...

No comments: