Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Good "girl power" books

As a mother of 2 daughters, I am always in favor of finding books that celebrate impressive women. I've stumbled upon a couple picture-book biographies in recent months that have particularly resonated with my girls -- and that I've enjoyed reading as well.

Georgia's Bones by Jen Bryant
A biography of Georgia O'Keefe. My parents went on a trip to New Mexico and came back with this book. It is a simply eloquent insight into the mind of a young artist. The lovely illustrations incorporate several of O'Keefe's (G-rated) works.




You Can't Do That, Amelia! by Kimberly Wagner Klier
A biography about Amelia Earhart. It's always fun to read about someone surpassing everyone's expectations. This book takes such a fun, great approach to Earhart's accomplishments -- and also stays away from the topic of the end of her life, as that may be difficult and confusing for young readers.





I highly recommend these for your next trip to the library or bookstore (or for the girls -- and boys -- on your holiday gift list!). They're well written, and I always appreciate a history lesson for myself.

No comments: