Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Holiday wrap-up

The holidays came and went more quickly than I ever remember them doing. It's cliche to say that I had a lot to do and was running around like a mad person -- but I was. Here are a few of the things that kept me occupied.

We did 4 separate Christmases this year. Yes, four. I mean, who does that? More than ever, I am hell-bent on reconciling the family Christmas dispute that continues between some members of L's and my family. Either that, or I will go on a solo island retreat while everyone else "celebrates" four Christmases in one week. Actually, that's sounding better by the minute.

L and I didn't get presents for each other again this year. We like the tradition we started last year of shopping for people who really need it. It can be a major project (read: going to three different toy stores looking for the exact toy the 3-year-old boy asked for), but I much prefer it to exchanging boring old stuff between us.

One thing of note about shopping for those less fortunate: Each person we shopped for asked for socks. They could ask for anything in the world, and they wanted socks. I now think of them every time I put socks on my feet.

Speaking of asking for anything in the world, the girls' requests for Santa were kind of head-scratchers, but I have to give them points for practicality. Jellybean asked for a purple suitcase. Peanut asked for a "dark orange cup" and a candy cane. All the toys the elves make all year long, and it came down to a suitcase and a cup. Santa did a great job choosing which suitcase and which cup to give them -- and they're both thrilled.

Putting that all behind me (well, except the sock thing, and maybe the family Christmas thing...), I'm ready for 2010. Whatever it has in store, bring it on!

No comments: