Saturday, October 10, 2009

The eye of the beholder

I have always loved hearing people's stories about the hilarious/clever/embarrassing things their kids have said. After you read this, I hope you'll share your stories, either about your kids or about yourself as a kid.

Peanut is just approaching the age and stage that she says funny things on purpose, and yet doesn't quite understand social convention enough to know that some observations are best kept to herself.

A while back, all four of us were out to eat at a restaurant with my mother-in-law and brother-in-law. An older couple was seated at the table next to us. I didn't pay them much attention, because I was too busy making sure salsa, chips and quesadillas didn't get flung across the restaurant or eaten off the floor.

We were about halfway through lunch when Peanut piped up triumphantly, "Her hair is purple!" Of course, in typical 2-year-old fashion, she said it while pointing boldly in the direction of the older couple. We redirected her with quiet murmurs like, "Yes, sweetie, would you like another chip?"

No dice. Peanut wanted us all to share in her discovery. "Her hair is purple! That lady has purple hair!" Louder and with more oomph to her pointing. My MIL and BIL were snorting into their napkins with laughter. L kept Jellybean in check with a stern glance that he somehow managed to conjure.

Amazingly, I kept my composure long enough to lean in, look her in the eye and say something in my end-of-discussion tone like, "Her hair isn't purple, it's red, and we're all done talking about it."

Then, I snuck one last glance at the lady's hair, leaned down to the ground as if picking something up off the floor and had my own guffaw.

Her hair really was purple.

No comments: