Monday, August 24, 2009

Traveling with kids -- any tips?

Later this week, we're taking the kids and the father-in-law (who both L and I are counting in the "kid" column instead of the "adult" column) on the train to Chicago for a long weekend. I'm so psyched about playing in the Windy City in its summer glory!

Getting there will be easy, doing fun things and eating will be easy. But, we're staying in a regular hotel room and no longer have a regular stroller because I sold it in the garage sale after it sat around neglected for months. Call us non-adventurous, but we haven't done the hotel room thing with both kids until now. And I hadn't factored in a largely pedestrian (so to speak) vacation when I sold the stroller.

Any recommendations? Advice?

1 comment:

Christy said...

When Ali and I travel alone, she carries a backpack on her back (appropriately sized, of course) and pulls a wheeled suitcase (smaller than mine). I figure if I'm paying, we're taking our full baggage allotment! I also have a stroller that she can ride in when she gets tired.

We did Chicago last September. We drove in (couldn't make the train work for us), and were staying downtown so we didn't have to worry about moving carseats or anything.

Ali walked for the majority of the trip, though we did carry her stroller around a few times. The El was easy easy easy, but cabs were harder. I actually let her ride w/o a carseat and that is something that I swore I would NEVER do.

If either of you have an iPhone, there is a great Chicago Public Transit app that shows bus/train/metro schedules.

I wanna go! ;)